This blog is quite simply my place to share my ruminations. Specifically, my thoughts about God (also known as theology), what the Bible teaches (also known as doctrine), religion (ok, I'll stop explaining now), the afterlife...(and I think you get the big picture here.)

I am admittedly an amateur in many ways. Though I can be very opinionated, I really don't know everything and I am very sure that I will have errors in thinking, gaps in my knowledge, and possibly times when I'm too proud or stubborn to see it.

Still, while I welcome comments, I'd like em to be respectful of myself and others (including God, yes!) even if you find my ideas distasteful or ignorant. After all, if you wish to expound on that sort of thing, you can always start your own blog. No one is stopping you and it's totally free. :)

Monday, April 9, 2012

A few odds and ends on yoga and meditation

OK, where to start...

I feel a bit sad that while quite a few people have been upset with my putting up the info, I don't think too many actually took the time to check out the links, or the idea that there might be a spiritual down side to yoga/meditation.  I have said I'll do a better job soon, and put up more info and links, but of course, that only really means something if you are willing to look past me and at the sources themselves.

I'm going to speculate here, because I don't have much to go on, but I am guessing one of the reasons that people seem to feel I've somehow done something unfair in being wary and critical of yoga/meditation is that for them, it is indeed a religious sort of thing.  Or if you prefer, spiritual.  I understand that if you perceive that someone is attacking your spiritual practices, you will be upset.

This sort of was part of my point, though.  I am questioning whether or not yoga/meditation can be purely considered on a physical level, something practiced for physical gain alone.  If I had questioned whether drinking 8 glasses of water a day were good for you or not, and put up links to things that question that, I don't think I would have gotten as much protest.  In fact, several people put up religious comparisons for me.  How would I feel if other people said my religious beliefs were dangerous, and etc.  In using this as a comparison, I think you are saying that yoga/meditation IS a spiritual/religious practice.   Because generally people are not quite as emotionally invested in defending jogging, for instance.  (unless you are really hard core.  Then, maybe.  ;)  )

Here is something I'd like to take this opportunity to say.  I have been in the place where someone questioned whether something "spiritual" I was involved in was good or not.  I understand that is not a comfortable place to be.  My own initial reaction was a bit of indignation.  I was upset that anyone would question something that had helped me.  I felt that the other person was judgemental.

And now I see that I was wrong...  ouch for me.  Point is, I understand those emotions.  I empathize.  It is not easy hearing something held important and well loved critiqued.  I get that. 

I will say, though, that if you do feel that way, then be honest with yourself (if you are not already so) that yoga/meditation is more than physical, that it is a highly valued spiritual practice.

And here is something else important that I need to say.  I am worried that in all the debate, I become "the enemy."  I am not any one's enemy, I assure you.  And this is why it is important to me that you understand that if you have been critical of me, or called me ignorant or whatever, I do not hold it against you in any way.  I truly believe that some people who do yoga/meditate may find themselves in a spiritual situation they did not want and can not get out of.

I would be deeply distressed if this happened, but because I had an adversarial attitude, or there were bad feelings, that person would be leery of contacting me.  I know some of you might scoff at this, at least right now, and that is OK.  I just want you to know that I understand what it is like to be convinced of something and find out later you are mistaken.  I will not hold anything you have said to me against you.  If at some point someone who reads this is in a spiritual situation that is distressing you, I promise you I will be here for you.  I know someone who can help you, and you have my absolute word of honor I will believe you, I will not say I told you so, and I will be here to talk too.

Now, last of all, a bit of housecleaning.  If Mr. E.P. is actually here reading this, I did not post your comment.  For two reasons.  Numero Uno is that while I said "have some fun" with making up an alias, I was sort of expecting a bit less of  Bart Simpson and a bit more of the sort of humour that everyone is OK with.  Personally, I can say the word "Penis" but it does seem somewhat juvenile to have to use sexual parts as a nickname, and some people find it offensive.  I just don't find it that funny, particularly as I wonder if it was used exactly because you felt the person you were commenting to would be offended by it.

Number two is this.  I have a double standard.  I will tolerate quite a bit of mocking of myself.  I will totally allow people say I appear ignorant, to call me narrow-minded, or to otherwise stray as close as possible into insult without actually crossing the big line. But I won't allow it to happen to anyone else who comments here, whether it be someone who is agreeing or disagreeing with me.  There are lots of nice ways to make a point.  Use them.  I want people to feel free to be open and honest, without worrying that their comments will be mocked.  Say your point without trying to make someone else feel stupid.  And if anyone feels I have done this to them, please let me know so I can apologize.



I think I did it justice there, right?  That was your point?  It is a point worth discussing and answering.  And I will do more discussing of it later on.  Now it is late, and I am tired.  And E.P.... no hard feelings.  :)  I appreciate your point, but I didn't feel it was presented very kindly.  I have high standards for how others are treated on this blog.  I'm sure if you come back here for more discussion, you will aim your mocking at me.  :)  

3 comments:

  1. Ah but don't mistake disagreement for "didn't bother to read". It's clear that two people can read the same information and take away from it very different, even polar opposite things.

    I have read your blog entries and the comments that follow and I don't really see mocking.

    I see vastly different opinion and perspective. I see in the comments, cogent pithy arguments, questions designed to be food for thought or designed to point out errors in reasoning or conclusion.

    For example, I pointed what I think accounts for much of the difference in interpretation-- "uniting body, mind and spirit" using a very different definition of the term spirit: THE spirit (God) vs MY spirit (heart,soul, essence).

    I see and attempt by some to 'keep it light' and make it fun and funny.

    Some commenters seem irritated and I suspect that's because some of the conclusions drawn and comments made seem a bit condescending and xenophobic.

    I shouldn't speak for E. Normous or Hugh G. Rection, but since I know them pretty well I'll just say that they are funny guys who don't pass up an opportunity for witty or dirty humor but their intent wouldn't be to offend.



    Shirley U. Cantbserious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I posted one comment in response to yours already, this is the second one. :)

      I have a sincere question for you... you said that some of my conclusions and comments seem condescending. I can tell you that I had no intention of being condescending, but perhaps that sounds like a lot of hot air if you truly feel that I was condescending.

      If you are up for it, I would welcome a bit more information... Frankly, I think the charge of being condescending is a lot more troublesome than when people say one is "ignorant." What I mean is, if you feel I am condescending there must be a reason. Maybe I do sound condescending but I just don't realize it. If you don't mind giving me something a bit more concrete, I would be better able to evaluate that.

      Of course, if it is that you feel anyone who says "I think yoga might have a down side," is condescending,... well, I wouldn't agree. But if something in my posts or comments seems to reflect an attitude that I think I am better than other people, that I think somehow I am superior... well, I want to look into that, and maybe apologize. In other words, I stand by my opinion, but will examine how I said it. :)

      I do appreciate that you are willing to discuss this with me, and that you have been respectful, even if you disagree, especially if you do think I am condescending. I enjoy the part that is discussion, though I gotta admit that being called xenophobic and ignorant is not really what I would call a great way to start your day. (that is said with a wry smile, and is an attempt at humour, something you are free to say that I am not that good at)

      Hope you will write in again,
      Karen

      Delete
  2. Hey Shirley, I agree with you that some people did attempt to keep it light and make it fun. Also, I know for a fact that a few people, did check out my links, because one person made comments on what I said about Swami J.

    There were some comments that made me wonder, because they didn't seem aware of the information on the links.

    There was only one comment that was mocking. Funny, yes, but mocking. It was from E. Normous and I'm glad you can vouch for him. He did have a good point, and I had typed it into my original blog post, but for some odd reason, occasionally paragraphs get snipped out. I have been meaning to go back and add it, not only to be fair to Mr. Normous, but also because I thought his point was valid, even as I would like to discuss it and my own take on it. You can tell my paragraph was somehow lost because the last paragraph doesn't make sense... :) I was going to just go back and add it back in, but then the trouble is that some people would have already read the blog and wouldn't know that it was added in. So, instead, I am planning to put his point into a new blog. I hope he is ok with that. I had no intent to "silence" him. I'm glad you can vouch that he wouldn't have the intention of offending. Good to know, because it is hard to read tone of voice.

    ReplyDelete